This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This part of IEC 60335 deals with the safety of electric heat pumps, sanitary hot water heat pumps and air conditioners, incorporating motor-compressors as well as hydronic fan coils units, dehumidifiers (with or without motor-compressors), thermoelectric heat pumps and partial units. Their maximum rated voltage being not more than 300 V for single phase appliances and 600 V for multi-phase appliances.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless can be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
The appliances referenced above can consist of one or more factory-made assemblies. If provided in more than one assembly, the separate assemblies are used together, and the requirements are based on the use of matched assemblies.
NOTE 101 A definition of ‘motor-compressor’ is given in IEC 60335-2-34, which includes the statement that the term motor-compressor is used to designate either a hermetic motor-compressor or semi-hermetic motor-compressor.
NOTE 102 Requirements for containers intended for storage of the heated water included in sanitary hot water heat pumps are, in addition, covered by IEC 60335-2-21.
This standard does not take into account refrigerants other than group A1, A2L, A2 and A3 as defined by ISO 817. Flammable refrigerants are limited to those of a molar mass of more than or equal to 42 kg/kmol based on WCF (worst case formulation) as specified in ISO 817.
As far as practical, this standard deals with common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered in normal use and assumes that installation, servicing, decommissioning, and disposal are safely handled by competent persons and accidental release of refrigerants is avoided. However, it does not prescribe the criteria to ensure competence of persons during installation, servicing and disposal. Safety requirements during disposal are not specified in this standard.
NOTE 103 Annex HH provides informative requirements on competence of persons. Criteria for competence of personnel for the purpose of certification schemes can be found in ISO 227121.
Unless specifications are covered by this standard, including the annexes, requirements for refrigerating safety are covered by:
– ISO 5149-1:2014, ISO 5149-1:2014/AMD1:2015, and ISO 5149-1:2014/AMD2:2021,
– ISO 5149-2:2014 and ISO 5149-2:2014/AMD1:2020,
– ISO 5149-3:2014 and ISO 5149-3:2014/AMD1:2021.
Supplementary heaters, or a provision for their separate installation, are within the scope of this standard, but only heaters which are designed as a part of the appliance package, the controls being incorporated in the appliance.
NOTE 104 Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on-board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
– in many countries, additional requirements are specified, for example, by the national health authorities responsible for the protection of labour and the national authorities responsible for storage, transportation, building constructions and installations.
NOTE 105 This standard does not apply to
– humidifiers intended for use with heating and cooling equipment (IEC 60335-2-88);
– appliances designed exclusively for industrial processing;
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).
- Number of Pages:
- File Size:
- 1 file , 3.3 MB
- This product is unavailable in Ukraine, Russia, Belarus